- Individuals who take positions in securities and their derivatives with the objective of making profits. Traders can make markets by trading the flow. When they do this, their objective is to earn the bid/ ask spread. Traders can also take proprietary positions in which they seek to profit from the directional movement of prices or spread positions. Bloomberg Financial Dictionary————1 - A person who takes positions in the futures market, usually without the intention of making or taking delivery. 2- A member of the exchange who buys and sells futures and options through the floor of the exchange. See " day trader", " floor broker", " position trader," and " scalper". Chicago Mercantile Exchange Glossary————The party that interacts with counterparties in the context of a market ( i.e. an exchange, network, or over-the-counter network), to execute trades. Euroclear Clearing and Settlement glossary
* * *trader trad‧er [ˈtreɪdə ǁ -ər] noun [countable]1. FINANCE someone who deals in shares, bonds, currencies, Commodities (= oil, metal, farm products) etc on a market either for themselves or for a financial institution:
• To the surprise of many traders, the dollar rose in European markets.2. COMMERCE someone who buys and sells goodsˌsole ˈtrader LAWa legal form of company in some countries for someone who has their own business, with no other shareholders:
• The bank has over one million business accounts, from sole traders to the largest corporations.
* * *trader UK US /ˈtreɪdər/ noun [C]► US (UK dealer) FINANCE, STOCK MARKET a person or company that buys and sells shares, currencies, etc.: »
It resulted from trading losses in derivatives by a single trader at the firm's Singapore office.»
a bond/currency/stock trader► COMMERCE a person or business that buys and sells goods: »
Supermarkets have driven many small traders out of business.→ See also DAY TRADER(Cf. ↑day trader), FLOOR TRADER(Cf. ↑floor trader), FOREIGN EXCHANGE TRADER(Cf. ↑foreign exchange trader), FREE TRADER(Cf. ↑free trader), ROGUE TRADER(Cf. ↑rogue trader), SOLE TRADER(Cf. ↑sole trader)
Financial and business terms. 2012.